Frequently Asked Questions

1.    Can the Ministry arrange for street lights, or other services to be provided in my area?

No. Providing street lighting and other public utilities is the responsibility of the Public Utilities Commission.  You can find their contact details on their webpage.


2.    I heard that it is illegal for me to install a solar panel on my house if I am connected to the electricity grid.  Is this true?

No, however there are three constraints that you must comply with:

    1. The installed must capacity of the panels must be less than 75 kW
    2. The panels can only be used for self-production (at present, you cannot use the panels to supply your neighbours or sell electricity to the grid)
    3. You must obtain consent from the Public Utilities Commission. This consent is to make sure that the equipment is installed and operated in a way that is safe for people and the equipment.

 3.    So why can’t I sell electricity to the grid?

Presently the PUC does not have any regulations that allow for self-generators with excess energy to sell to the grid. We are working hard in this area and we anticipate that you will be able to sell electricity to the grid in the near future.


4.    I use the same appliances all year round, so why has my energy bill increased so much?

In the hotter months of the year, cooling equipment will need to work harder to achieve the same result. For example, if the outside temperature is 100˚ F your fridge will have to work much harder to cool food down to 35˚ F than if the outside temperature is 70 ˚F.


5.    How can I reduce my energy bill?

You can find our energy saving tips here. Many of our suggestions will help you to reduce your power bill without having a negative impact on your lifestyle.


6.    My electricity has been cut off. What can I do?
This is the responsibility of the Public Utilities Commission. We recommend that you check to make sure that you have paid all outstanding bills to your energy suppliers. If your payments are up to date, please contact the Public Utilities Commission for further guidance. You can find their contact details here.